Ariana Grande's breakout single "The Way", featuring Mac Miller, went platinum.
Austin Mahone's new hit single, "What About Love", can be heard on top radio stations around the nation.
For the past 17 years fans of all ages have been entertained by some of biggest names in music and tennis, and with chart-topping singer Ariana Grande and rising star Austin Mahone leading the way in 2013, the 18th annual Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day Presented by Hess promises to be no different.
Joining Grande and Mahone in the lineup for 2013 Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day, to be held Saturday, Aug. 24, will be spirited-teen sensation Coco Jones, breakout UK band Lawson and Swedish DJ duo Cazzette as well as world No. 1s Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams, five-time US Open champion Roger Federer and world No. 1 wheelchair tennis champion David Wagner.
The popular full-day tennis and music festival for both children and adults features interactive games, musical entertainment and tennis activities at the home of the US Open, the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y., from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day Presented by Hess will kick off the 2013 US Open, which runs from August 26 through September 9.
From 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., kids and their families can enjoy an exciting schedule of free tennis games, live music and attractions taking place throughout the grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Inside Arthur Ashe Stadium from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., the live tennis and music show will feature fun exhibition matches and skill competitions with Djokovic, Williams, Federer and Wagner along with musical performances by Grande, Mahone, Fifth Harmony, Jones, Lawson and Cazzette.
USTA 10 and Under Tennis spokesperson Jeff Sutphen, the star of Nickelodeon's "Figure It Out," will also take part in the action. Additional stars will be announced in the coming weeks.
Stadium show tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster
and at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the official card of Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day. General admission promenade tickets cost $10 and loge tickets are $20.
Arthur Ashe Kids' Day will be broadcast nationally by CBS on Sunday, Aug. 25, from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m (ET). Kids 12 and under with stadium-show tickets will receive a free Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day hat from the USTA and Hess on a first-come, first-served basis.
"Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day presented by Hess has grown into the largest single-day, grass-roots tennis and entertainment event in the world," said Dave Haggerty, USTA Chairman, CEO and President. "AAKD kicks off the US Open with the hottest musical acts of summer and some of the world’s best tennis players, all coming together to celebrate the life and values of tennis legend and humanitarian Arthur Ashe."
Over the years, Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day has featured many of music’s biggest acts including Justin Bieber, Rihanna, The Wanted, Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Carly Rae Jepsen, Sean Kingston, Britney Spears, Ne-Yo, Gavin DeGraw, Jessica Simpson, Backstreet Boys, Cody Simpson and Hanson.
This year’s lineup will feature:
Ariana Grande - Music has always been Ariana Grande's first love. In fact, long before millions of fans fell in love with the singer and actress as Cat Valentine on the hit Nickelodeon shows Victorious and Sam & Cat, she began professionally pursuing her musical career at only eight-years-old. After performing with symphonies around her native Florida, Ariana made her national television debut, singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the first-ever broadcast of the national anthem for the Florida Panthers. The breakout single for Republic Records, platinum-selling "The Way" featuring Mac Miller, is the best way to get to know Ariana. Over shimmering piano and a slick beat, her voice echoes soulfully before she carries an inescapable and impressive hook. The follow-up single, "Baby, I" is creating similar buzz—reaching #2 on the iTunes chart just hours after its release. Both are simply a prelude to her forthcoming full-length 2013 debut. Ultimately, the new album will welcome everyone into Ariana's world, and it's a wonderful place.
Austin Mahone – At just 17 years old, singer/songwriter Austin Mahone is poised for stardom. Not only is Austin nominated for MTV’s Video Music Award "Artist to Watch," but his new hit single, "What About Love" has gained over 19.5 million views on YouTube and can be heard on top radio stations around the nation. Austin is currently touring on Taylor Swift’s RED Tour! Austin was one of a select few presenters at this year’s Billboard Music Awards where he presented "Best EDM Artist" alongside singer Kelly Rowland as well as opened at the 2013 Radio Disney Music Awards where he took home his first RDM award for the "Ultimate Breakout Star – Biggest Viral Artist". Not only does he have a solid fan base, known as "Mahomies," but the teen sensation is gaining a legion of loyal fans in the media as well. He’s hot on the press trail, appearing on the Today Show to a crowd of his screaming fans, features in Details Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, Wall Street Journal, Live! With Kelly & Michael, Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight, E! News, Extra, The Insider, VH1 and MTV. Austin additionally has been featured on covers of J-14, Popstar!, M, Astro Girl, Quiz Fest and Twist.
Fifth Harmony – Thanks to their show-stopping vocals, undeniable charisma, and genuine sisterly bond, Fifth Harmony have attracted a growing, devoted fanbase. "Miss Movin’ On" is the first single from Fifth Harmony’s upcoming debut album, which will be released by Epic Records and Syco Music later this year. The single premiered last week and was followed by a stunning debut performance on NBC’s The Today Show Summer Concert Series. The girls have been in the studio working on their debut album with The Suspex (Demi Lovato), The Monsters (Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez), J Kash (Kesha, Avril Lavigne), Lil’ Eddie (Usher, Pink), Toby Gad (Beyoncé, Fergie) and others. Multi-platinum-selling producer/songwriter Julian Bunetta (One Direction, Natasha Bedingfield), who worked with the girls on The X Factor, is executive-producing the album.
Coco Jones – It would be hard to find another teen with the poise, chops, and confident charm of Coco Jones. With her debut Hollywood Records EP, "Made Of," the 15-year-old singer shows the world what her growing fan base already knows: Coco Jones is a spectacular talent of limitless potential. Sound like hype? In 2010, Coco emerged as a finalist on the Disney Channel’s "Next Big Thing" which led to a recurring role on "So Random" followed by her breakout role in the #1 Disney Channel movie "Let It Shine." The video for her first single, "Holla at the DJ," has surpassed 2.2 million YouTube views and garnered praise from MTV who likened Coco’s performance to a "young Beyonce." Blending straight-up dance with Adele-like harmonies, Coco’s second single "World is Dancing," just hit radio. Coco was recently named one of Essence.com’s "35 Under 35: Young, Black, and Amazing," placing her alongside Jennifer Hudson, Alicia Keys, and Beyoncé. Her debut EP "Made Of" is available now on Hollywood Records.
Lawson – After racking up 5 top ten hits in their native U.K., Lawson are coming to America! The London-based four-piece consists of Andy Brown, Ryan Fletcher, Joel Peat and Adam Pitts and anticipation is building ahead of their debut U.S. album "Chapman Square" which reached number 4 on the British charts. Lawson have cut their teeth as a band opening up for the likes of Avril Lavigne, Jessie J and Bruce Springsteen on tour. Unsigned at the time, these shows marked a turn in fortunes for the band culminating in sold out performances at London's O2 Arena. Soon after, the band signed with Polydor Ltd. (UK) and four years after forming, Lawson had lift-off. Connecting with fans online, the boys have already built a massive fan base stateside, selling out shows in both New York and LA at the top of the year. Their first single "Learn To Love Again" goes to U.S. radio next month. For this ambitious quartet, "Chapman Square" is just the beginning and big success looms. The future is looking decidedly Lawson-flavored.
Cazzette – From the house that brought you Avicii, comes Cazzette. The Swedish DJ duo is currently tearing up clubs worldwide with "Beam Me Up," a club banger with a hard-charging kick drum, an epic vocal track and dub bass drops designed to get the party going. Cazzette, aka Alexander Björklund and Sebastian Furrer, incorporate a variety of sounds into their dub house tracks, including aspects of trance, hip-hop and funk. They’ve been on the rise since making a huge splash in 2011 with their official remix of Avicii’s "Sweet Dreams." Since then, they’ve become the only group to have ever played the Ultra Music Festival’s headline stage three times in two years. Since launching their EJECT project on Spotify, Cazzette has topped Billboard’s dance charts and garnered a combined 8 million views on Vevo/YouTube. With an album coming on PRMD, through Island Def Jam Music Group, Cazzette is poised to become a major force in electronic music.
– Jeff Sutphen has a great talent for creating shows that engage kids and teens, whether he is behind the camera or in front of an audience. As host of Nickelodeon’s Figure It Out, Sutphen brings high-energy and laughs to the game show which challenges celebrities to guess kid contestants’ unique talents and skills. Prior to Figure It Out, Sutphen hosted all 3 seasons of Nickelodeon’s Emmy-nominated hit BrainSurge, for which he also served as a producer. He most recently hosted the ABC summer game show 101 Ways to Leave a Game Show from the producers of Wipeout and completed the first episode of his web talk show, "The Garage Show with Jeff Sutphen," in which he interviews celebrity guests from the comfort of his own garage (thegarageshowwithjeff.com
The Grounds Festival offers a wide range of interactive activities as well as a chance for children of all ages to test their skills, hit with top tennis pros, win prizes and enjoy music:
• Hess Express Stage – The Grounds Festival’s free concert featuring up-and-coming musical talent including pop/R&B group Lucki Gurlz, Atlantic Records artist Trevor Jackson, Disney Channel’s "Shake It Up!" star Kenton Duty, New York’s own CityKids and "Summer Forever" songstress Megan Nicole.! Additional acts to be confirmed.
• YouthTennis.com – Learn real tennis and have fun doing it using racquets, balls and courts that are sized right for kids so they enjoy the game right from the start.
• Hess Express Obstacle Course – Test agility, balance, running and tennis skills on the engaging and challenging obstacle course.
• From Nickelodeon – Live appearances by characters from your favorite Nickelodeon shows.
• Nike Tennis SPARQ Challenge – Tennis and skill activities on two courts featuring Nike sponsored athletes.
• USTA Serves/Aetna Tennis Skills – Activity stations for very young kids or special populations. Stations include rolling balls with racquets and bouncing Koosh balls.
• Esurance Champions of the Court – Exciting doubles play for all levels. Which team will win Champions of the Court?
• Hess Target Time – Intermediate and advanced-level kids can test their skills hitting targets and win prizes.
• Xerox Beat the Pro – Challenge the best playing points against some of the top touring and teaching pros in the world.
• IBM Speedzone – Just like the pros, utilize IBM’s speed serve technology to test the power behind your shot.
• PTR 10 and Under Tennis – Hit with PTR-certified pros on mini-courts at full speed and with complete strokes using a special restricted flight foam ball.
• USPTA 10 and Under Tennis – USPTA-certified teaching professionals host this court consisting of 30 colorful hitting stations using a variety of teaching aids.
• Also – Watch the Pros Practice, Player Autographs, Juggling Workshop, Face-Painting, Hair Beading and Braiding, Storytelling, Roving Entertainers and more.
Each year, Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day presented by Hess brings together the biggest names in tennis and entertainment to honor Arthur Ashe’s memory and benefit a worthy cause. The proceeds from Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day help support USTA Serves, the USTA’s national charitable foundation, and the National Junior Tennis and Learning (NJTL) network. NJTL was founded by Ashe, Charlie Pasarell and Sheridan Snyder and is a nationwide group of more than 600 nonprofit youth-development organizations that provide free or low-cost tennis, education and life-skills programming to more than 325,000 children each year.
For more information on the event, log on to www.aakd.com
, "like" the official Facebook page facebook.com/ArthurAsheKidsDay
, follow @AAKidsDay on Twitter and Instagram. In the event of inclement weather, ticket holders should log on to www.aakd.com
for the most up-to-date information.
Hess Corporation is a leading global independent energy company primarily engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas. More information on Hess Corporation is available at http://www.hess.com